DJ/ Producer duo, Botnek, is coming to Māyā Day & Nightclub TONIGHT! We had the chance to catch up with them and ask them a few questions.
1. Who was your greatest inspiration when you were first coming up in the industry & who do you draw inspiration from in the more recent years?
When we were first starting we were really inspired by the Prodigy, and these days we still listen a lot of the Prodigy. Also a lot of fidget house when that was a thing, Crookers, Jack Beats, etc. But these days we’re kinda listening to a lot of bands really!
2. Aside from your own originals & remixes, what is one of your #1 go to tracks during DJ sets?
I can’t remember when this started, but we’ve been playing “Bohemian Rhapsody” in our sets. It’s not dance music at all but people freak out cos its such a switch up!
3. What was the most enjoyable part of working with Zedd on your collaboration, “Bumble Bee”, release on his new album, True Colors?
Mostly that working with Zedd was just so truly collaborative. There wasn’t really any emailing ideas back and forth, it was just us getting into the studio together and making it happen. Zedd’s definitely got a totally different working method from us, and it was cool to think outside the box on our ideas.
4. You guys have a very unique sound, yet you have been able to reach a very diverse audience of listeners – what advice would you give up-in-coming producers trying to find their own sound?
I would say literally just don’t care about what people are doing, don’t try to match anything that’s out, cos that stuff was probably made so long before you’re hearing it anyway. It sounds corny and cliche but be true to yourself, and what I mean by that is to focus on what music you really know, and what seems right to you and makes you happy first. Who cares what anyone thinks just do your thing and perfect it. Don’t try to be like your inspirations, seek what they sought. … By the way “sought” is an ugly fucking word.
5. If you had to describe the future of Botnek in 3 words, what would they be?
1. Beats 2. Beers 3. Bromance
6. What should Scottsdale be ready for on Friday night?
Relaxing times, Casual Conversation and Easy Listening.
The guys have also invited you to join their guest list. . .here’s what they had to say about that. Sign up here – bit.ly/Botnek_Guest!